Sunday, July 22, 2012

The Living Wall in Our Kitchen

As the utility wall was broken to make the kitchen larger,( Kitchen make-over, a story for another post *Smiles*) I had a portion of wall on which I did not want cabinets on.

I wanted this wall to be a sort of living wall, that can be easily changed based on my mood and still did not want a decal/ posters/ white board.

I had a couple of meters of upholstery cloth after a foot stool make-over. One fine morning, I rushed to my local photo framing guy, to have this cloth stretched on a board & framed. Came back with two glass framed upholstery with black frame.- a  bigger frame for living wall &  another smaller one for my weekly meal plan!! a marker was brought out & artist hubby was pleaded to draw Calvin & Hobbes. Though this is not his favorite form, he did it..!







There it was ready.

A floating shelf from FabIndia, a marble mortar from my paternal grand mom, assorted jars from my collection, Ivy in a wine bottle, potted plants & the up-cycled black chalk board bottle from Second To None market completed the look! Calvin & Hobbes are here for a season at least










I had loads of fun doing this project, hope you enjoyed seeing the result too*smiles*. Do let me know what you think!

Linking the post to Patty's "The Weekly Story"

16 comments:

Unknown said...

hey Manasa this looks v creative indeed.. i liked the concept of changing theme based on one's mood.... thanks for sharing! :)

padmamanasa said...

Thanks Neelmani!

A CaT Production said...

Hi....gr8 idea and creativity...thanx 4 sharing it since i too have a huge bare wall in my kitchen which looks boring and dull...wanted to make it lively...

padmamanasa said...

Thank CJ, glad you liked the idea

Anonymous said...

Oh my.. wow!! that sketching ... wow!! wow!! I love Calvin & Hobbs as well... *sigh*>. actually who doesnt.. I love what you've done.. splendid!

Usha said...

This is amazing Manasa! Great idea and wonderful sketches!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

you have an amazing space here. such a good taste...love the way you have done up your space.

padmamanasa said...

Thanks Patty, Usha & Sayantani!

Shimmy said...

Great job Manasa and Pradosh! Your space looks fabulous:)

Rema said...

Wow!! That is awesome. Calvin and Hobbes can bring a smile at anytime right! :) Thanks for joining the link-up party as well :)

Unknown said...

This is indeed awesome. But I dont have a husband who can draw Calvin and Hobbes...sigh, I have a husband and daughter who voraciously read C & H.

But truely awesome....

Unknown said...

what an idea.loved it.

padmamanasa said...

Thanks for dropping in and commenting Leena!

Scripture Doodle said...

my favourite comic characters ... so much imagination in you to have used them on the wall ... love it!!!

A Sunny Yellow Window said...

Very imaginative, am loving these corners in your home! :-)

Unknown said...

i loved this post a lot.....i love the fact that you do these DIY projects like converting the crib to a sofa....it is even great when it is a team effort, like this one...when your husband has drawn the cartoons and you have artistically done the nook of your house, very creative I must say....Simply Awesome!!!

Followers